Bewitching Witches Besom Handmade with
Natural Wood Handle and Black Broomcorn
This handcrafted, old world style broom is functional yet crafted for, you, our magical Witch and Wizard friends. Each Witches Broom is approximately 56 inches tall and weighs about 3 pounds. Made with natural wood branches; some are straight and some are curvy. Your broom is made individually and will vary slightly from the photo.
Flying Qualities? We are told this is "the one" by Harry Potter enthusiasts and school "Quidditch" teams. It is the most aerodynamic design and superb for acceleration and cornering abilities!
Brooms are used in magical rituals, cleansing ceremonies, weddings, hand-fasting and sweat lodges.
Features of Your Handmade Besom:
- Handfasting/Wedding Gift
- House Warming Gift
- Protection from Bad Luck
- "Jump the Broom" for wedding/hand fasting
- Sweep away Evil and Negatives
- Sweep away Debris
- Hang in Entrance-way, as well as under your bed, for Protection, Harmony and Good Luck.
The association between witches and brooms goes back to ancient times. The pagan community would come together for ceremonies to ensure healthy crops. During the ritual they would mount pitchforks, poles, and brooms; and ride them like horses into the fields, leaping high into the air and dancing. During medieval times brooms were a symbol of female domesticity. Since most witches were female, the broom became intrinsically linked with Witches. In modern times, brooms are reminders of the power and unlimited possibilities of the Wiccan path.
Please Note: If you would like a broom for Halloween/Samhain or a Yule gift, plan ahead - the Autumn months and Yule season are our busiest time for brooms and besoms.
Shipping Costs are included for U.S. shipments. International Orders Please Note: There will be additional shipping costs; we will contact you with details.
About your Broom:
- The broom sticks are harvested, sustainably, in Oregon with a local restoration program. The sticks then go into a kiln for drying. A band saw is used in a very unusual, creative way to shapes and sculpt your broom stick... many times you will see a wood spirit peering.
- The best 100% broomcorn called "hurl" is used in creating each broom. The broomcorn is hand-dyed with non toxic dyes which are stable and when used under normal circumstances will not bleed.
- A broom winder, from an original machine in the 1800's is used to apply the broomcorn to the stick. Then a post Civil War era boom vice is used to flatten and sew the broomcorn. From the vice, the brooms go to the "Kick Winder" where platting the broom stalks is done. Once the broom is finished, it goes to the "cropper", another 1800's tool, to be trimmed to the desired shape, whether rounded, straight or angled.
- Each is hand-made and will vary slightly in size, color and weight.